Tuesday 15 April 2008

My Travel Plans for China

I guess I should give you a round-up of what my travel plans are for China. At some point very early on into my time in China, the idea popped into my head that it would be seriously cool to go to every single Chinese province. I pushed the idea right back out though, because it seemed impossible. Then when I was in Kashgar all spaced out from the food poisoning, I mentioned my idea to Liam and he was VERY enthusiastic. So we had a bit of a discussion and discovered that it was in fact possible. Difficult, but possible. So that same day we got maps of China and began to plan. I wanted to not only visit every province, but every provincial capital city.
We decided we wanted a western-style hit for Christmas, and where better to get that than Shanghai? So with Shanghai as our starting point, we worked out how many provinces we could visit and that was how we constructed our Christmas trip: Nanjing and Suzhou in Jiangsu, Shanghai in Shanghai Municipality, Hangzhou in Zhejiang.
So that meant that by the end of Christmas we had been to Beijing, Xinjiang, Jiangsu, Shanghai, and Zhejiang. Five provinces! Not bad. Except for the fact that there's 34.
I'm going to bore you all to tears now by listing the provinces. And their capitals. Leave me alone! I like lists : )

Provinces:
Province Capital
Anhui = Hefei
Fujian = Fuzhou
Gansu = Lanzhou
Guangdong = Guangzhou
Guizhou = Guiyang
Hainan = Haikou
Hebei = Shijiazhuang
Heilongjiang = Ha'erbin (Harbin)
Henan = Zhengzhou
Hubei = Wuhan
Hunan = Changsha
Jiangsu = Nanjing
Jiangxi = Nanchang
Jilin = Changchun
Liaoning = Shenyang
Qinghai = Xining
Shaanxi = Xi'an
Shandong = Jinan
Shanxi = Taiyuan
Sichuan = Chengdu
Taiwan (contentious one, this) = Taibei
Yunnan = Kunming
Zhejiang = Hangzhou

Autonomous Regions
Region Capital
Guangxi Zhuang = Nanning
Nei Menggu (Inner Mongolia ) = Huhehaote (Hohhot)
Ningxia Hui = Yinchuan
Xizang (Tibet) = Lhasa
Xinjiang Uyghur = Wulumuqi (Urumqi)

Central Administrative Municipalities
Municipality Capital
Beijing Municipality = Beijing
Chongqing Municipality = Chongqing
Shanghai Municipality = Shanghai
Tianjin Municipality = Tianjin

Special Administrative Regions
Region Capital
Xianggang (Hong Kong) = Xianggang (Hong Kong)
Aomen (Macao) = Aomen (Macao)


Map. So you can see the geographical positions of the provinces.

So, now that I've thoroughly bored you, you know that my mission is to go to every single one of these places before the year is up. The basic plan is as follows:
Christmas = South-ish-East China (around Shanghai)
Spring Festival = all of North and Central China
May Golden Week = Tibet and Yunnan
Summer = the rest of mainland China (all in the south, mostly in the east), plus Hong Kong, Macao, and the island provinces of Hainan and Taiwan.

No comments: